Have you ever walked into a store to buy one thing, like a towel, and left with entirely new bathroom decor? There's a name for it.
It's called the Diderot Effect.
In this episode we talk about:
- Our last episode, my husband joined us. We discussed our family's financial situation, progress, the highs & lows.
- Here are the numbers: January 2013, we had $57,000 of debt. We have paid off $41,000 total. We paid off $25,000 in 2014 and $16,000 in 2015. We have just the final $16,000 left on my student loans.
- The Think Enriched Review: Share the one thing you have learned about money this year! Send me an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org to share your Enriched Review!
- The Diderot Effect: consumerism wasn't invited this year. We can get caught up with one new thing which triggers us to buy another new thing and another.
- Diderot's Essay, written in 1769, "Regrets for my Old Dressing Gown, or A warning to those who have more taste than fortune."
- "Poverty has its freedoms; opulence has its obstacles."
- Have you ever found yourself suffering from the Diderot Effect? Like:
- You identify with stuff, as in, "That is so you."
- Brands are becoming part of your lifestyle and image.
- You buy things in sets for the look, rather than the actual need.
- Remember, it's just stuff. It's not part of your identity. It's just stuff!
- Look at how the stores are set up. They are created to help us buy much, much more than we need.
- Set your limits for you: make your budget, stay within your limits, and enjoy your purchases.
- You can support the show! Drop a Five Spot in our Think Enriched Virtual Tip Jar.
- Support the show this week.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
You've heard of the Think Enriched Crew, but are you in yet?
You can win 1 of 3 copies to be given away of Gallup Strengths Finder 2.0.
- Give the show a RATING & REVIEW.
- That's it! You are now entered to win 1 of 3 copies being given away (just in time for the holidays.)
Don't forget to join me & Steve Stewart on BLAB next week:
BLAB Session: November 18, 7pm, Pacific
Subscribe in iTunes. Or Stitcher Radio.
Rate & Review the show.
Have a question? Send me an email: email@example.com