Sure, we all wonder about how money works in other homes. Today, we open the curtain and share our struggle with money: the headaches & heartbreaks (that we can now laugh about); working through the fights; making a budget work; and finally, being able to see the finish line so close.
It is nearly an understatement to say that our marriage has completely changed from figuring out the finances.
Raul & I examine:
- What we remember of the early days of our marriage trying to figure out our budget.
- The resentment I had at that time.
- The turning point that was the biggest fight of our marriage: "the car fight" that changed our lives
- How I went to the first session of Financial Peace University by myself...and why Raul insisted I go.
- The discussion after that first session & insight to our desire to change our family tree.
- Instill hope: The reason I created this blog & podcast.
- Learning & getting on the same page, working together as a team; our marriage is better for it.
- The brutality of working through that first budget.
- Why Saturday mornings working through the budget is the best time of the week for us to make it work.
- And why Saturday morning budget time has become a habit.
- The Christmas budget: why we had to categorize where the money was going.
- Why we had to decide to allow our daughter to give this holiday.
- How we have found a balance where Raul focuses on the details, and I keep us looking toward the big vision for our family.
- What our friends & family have noticed about our situation.
- How having a budget has allowed us to be much more open about money. Who knew?
- The best example is to do it.
- When did Raul know we were on the right path? That very first night of FPU.
- The moment I knew we were on the right path? When we could do a budget in just a quick time.
- The story of "The Little Engine that Could" comparison to our finances.
- How the element of surprise has been removed from our budget.
- The jar analogy: the big rocks, the pebbles, the sand and the water.
- Raul is more analytical. I am more abstract and a feeler. We discuss how our communication styles have changed to be able to connect and reach out so that we are speaking the same language.
- What advice Raul has for you, the one who knows there is an important conversation that needs to happen to fix your finances.
- How having the budget eliminates the "awkward stressful conversations" in the store deciding on a purchase.
- What Raul's opinion on this podcast & what he has learned from this experience.
- How Raul has helped me figure out how to work from home, including: setting up business hours; finding balance in family and creating; and how we are making podcasting a part of our life- but not everything in our life.
- Raul asks me a question that I've never considered before.
- The element of finances in our marriage has enriched our entire relationships.
- Raul agrees to return with a status update on what we continue to learn about our finances.
You've heard of the Think Enriched Crew, but are you in yet?
You can win 1 of 3 copies to be given away of Gallup Strengths Finder 2.0.
- Give the show a RATING & REVIEW.
- That's it! You are now entered to win 1 of 3 copies being given away (just in time for the holidays.)
Don't forget to join me & Steve Stewart on BLAB next week:
BLAB Session: November 4, 7pm, Pacific
Subscribe in iTunes. Or Stitcher Radio.
Rate & Review the show.
Have a question. Send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.